Wednesday, May 16, 2012

WIP Wednesday - I Like To Move It Move It

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

So it's (finally) been a productive week for me.

I Like To Move It, Move It! (Finished!)

I can never hear that song without thinking of the introduction of Julian the lemur king in Madagascar (voiced by Sasha Baron Cohen). What a character!

Anyway, it's been a good week for Doing Things, because I finally had some nights free. Lots of sewing and cutting and realising that the TV I put in place of my broken one doesn't actually do USB sticks. And the DVD player (with a USB port) doesn't do anything but .avi files.

So, no Castle. *pout*

Books And Blocks Bee

I set aside Thursday and Friday nights for doing quilty things, like putting together quilt blocks and pin-basting the first of the two baby quilts before spending Saturday quilting them. That was the theory, anyway.

April Block: Selvedge Strings from 99 Modern Blocks

Books and bees block: Selvage strings

SpinTheBobbin wanted the block but made without selvedges and in patriotic colours. I already had the American Flag fabrics squirrelled away, so I figured this was as good a time as any to use them!


Birthday Blocks

I'm way behind on these - there were three for March and then nothing more until June. I got one sent out, now just the other two.

Birthday block: water wheel

This month, Mkissa wanted a block of the quilter's choice, in red, white, and aqua... I missed the note about wanting aqua. Should I make another one in aqua, or just send her the blue?


Are We There Yet? (WIPs)

(Note: I'm lacking photos at the time of posting, simply because I haven't had a chance to take them, but I'll get the post up for WIP Wednesday, and add the photos in a few hours.)

Baby Quilts

Still in progress! They'll be finished by the coming Saturday. (they have to be - I have to hand them over then!)

Baby Quilt #1 still has some quilting to go - I got tricksy with quilting details and...yeah. It's now a mish-mash of quilting styles - pretty much my quilting sampler!

[Baby Quilt 2

Baby Quilt 2: detail

For Baby Quilt #2, I decided simpler was better, and just went with a nice easy stipple.

Baby quilt1


Mug Rug Swap

My swapee is Elsa of Elsa's Fine Line, who wanted something modern in grey and lime green and yellow - I've never done a mug rug before, so this was definitely an experience!

Mug rug front

I just quilted it in waves because I didn't know how else to quilt it! And my quilting skills (as previously mentioned) are not particularly impressive!

Mug rug detail

The back is a half-block of from Kim Brackett's Scrap-basket Sensations.

Mug rug back

It may be a little large on the mug-rug side - 6" x 12" - so perhaps it's more of a soup-bowl-rug? :)


The Usual Suspects (Still No Progress)

I will get these done...someday! Someday soon! Really! *weeps*

Binding
1. Mum's Impstar: I missed Mother's Day - boo! Part of that was because I didn't know what fabric I should use for the binding. I don't have any of the original fabric and I'm looking at alternatives now.
2. Disappearing Harvest: One word: meh.
3. Go Back To The Mountain, Turn The Quilt Around!: need to pick the binding fabric.

Blockish Things:
4. New York Beauty Blocks: I've made a list of the bits that need cutting out for each block, I have to find the time (and clear the space) so I can actually get that done.
5. Birthday Blocks: just one to go before I'm caught up until June. Another 'Quilter's Choice' - I'm thinking I might go simple and do a Broken Dishes, or perhaps a Bear Claws - this one just in blue and white.
6. Books and Bees Block: Kelleigh z wants the Pinwheel block from 99 Modern Blocks, which looks relatively easy (famous last words). I received the backgroun fabric in the mail on Monday and now it's time to quilt!

Planning, Planning, Planning
Sanae Mama and Babies: Need Kona Daffodil
Heirloom: Maybe I can do some cutting this weekend?
QuiltCon: Shhh! It's a secret! But my fabric has arrived.

Giving Up
I have to give up my hope of putting an entry into the PLAY competition prompted by Sew Happy Geek. Considering I haven't done more than the design on this one and there's five days to go...uh...no. Not going to make it.

But I had designs! And plans! And measurements!

PLAY - collage

I was going to do The Joker - specifically, The Joker from Batman - and highly influenced by Heath Ledger's iconic Batman: diabolical, unpredictable, psychological.

PLAY - The Joker

The "joker grin" was going to be hand-stitched on and frayed at the edges for that edgy, psychological look.

I even had the Batman logo (from Christopher Nolan's Batman movie series) mapped out!

PLAY - Batman Logo

Alas for a lack of time! This whole 'working 40 hours a week' thing really takes it out of you! (Okay, so the 'playing and training for hockey', 'being involved in a bible study and church', and 'having a social life' things take a lot out of me, too.)

On the plus side, I now have money to spend! I got my first pay yesterday and hoo boy! So nice to have my account balance finally going up instead of steadily going down...

There may be fabric purchases in the near future! :) But really, I'm hoping to move a lot of my fabric out of my stash instead of just adding to it!

Enough about me, let's talk about you for a minute! (Did you know Alanis has a new album out? I didn't until my friend Andrew blogged about it over at his pop culture blog Sparkly Pretty Briiiight! I'm quite excited! But that's another topic entirely! *AHEM*) Are you on the WIP Wednesday link party over at Freshly Pieced? Are you going to go over and check it out?

3 comments:

  1. wow - you've been BUsy! good progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for mug rugs! I'll have to check back to see your pics... I love making mug rugs. Nice, fun, creative, and quick! Also - is one of your WIP quilts named after a traditional African song... "Turn your world around"? If not then it's very coincidental that the title (minus the word quilt) is a line in the song! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your selvedges block - I am working on something similar for my daughter in bright pretty fabrics and was planning one for my son. I favour red and blue but was worried that it would be a bit dull in just two colours - but you have convinced me - not boring at all. It looks great.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and for commenting. It's nice to know that you aren't writing into a vacuum isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I try to answer every comment made, but if I forget to respond to you, I sincerely apologise! Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!